Sunday 17 February 2019

Seville Orange and Ginger Marmalade






You will need

Seville oranges and 1 lemon 720g
golden castor sugar 1kg ( you could substitute about a third with brown sugar)
600 ml water
70 g root ginger peeled    (or finely chopped chrystalised ginger)

Easy peasy method

Quarter the oranges and lemon, peel and slice the ginger then cook for 15 min in a pressure cooker on full pressure.
Transfer to a Thermomix and  process on 5 for 5 seconds.
I only used the TM to process the fruit then tipped it back into the pressure cooker before adding the sugar. Its quicker to reach the setting point in a larger pan. It took about 15 min of rolling boil..It set like a dream.
To cook in the TM you would set the temperature to 100C speed 3 and cook until the thermometer  says 105C Some of my TM jams have not set well. Their recipe for marmalade uses pectin which would make the difference.

I wasn't sure what it would be like with ginger. Its very more-ish. The orange is the dominant flavour with the ginger adding a warming effect.

You could pick out any pips that come to the top before putting into jars. I didn't.

TIP  You could try blitzing the unpeeled ginger with some of the sugar, it amazingly vanishes into the sugar!  I do this when I make candied figs. Recipe and photos here

PS I referred to 2 recipes for ideas

Nigel Slater's Orange and Ginger Marmalade
Super easy Orange Marmalade A Thermomix recipe. 

I got the idea of adding ginger from Nigel's recipe. It sounds like he does some experimenting as he mentions ideas like trying cardamom or reducing the sugar. I like experimenting with recipes.

They both have more sugar than I usually use so I reduced that and I reduced the faff of cutting neat shreds of peel etc though realise its necessary if presentation is important.

I have since found a TM recipe with less sugar and no pectin so may try that next time, with the addition of ginger of course.



No comments: